Get new posts by email


Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Classes, clubs, and sports: prepared for work

Despite completing his degrees during a global pandemic with job markets, including Rochester’s, “under fire,” Kellen Boyles ‘20, Accounting and Finance, was fortunate to receive multiple job offers. Boyles believes that Nazareth provided him with a quality in-classroom education and helped him develop practical knowledge that he now applies in his professional setting. He thinks that the internship requirement ensures that graduates are leaving the College with proper experience, not just knowledge, and that makes a difference for Naz grads competing with grads from other institutions, especially in the current market. After reviewing offers for positions in public accounting, corporate accounting, and wealth management, Boyles found a staff accountant position with Enterprise Holdings to be the best fit.

For Boyles the best part about being a student in the finance program was having access to the Finance Lab. The Finance Lab provides students with subscriptions to Morningstar Direct and other financial industry data analysis platforms. Finance majors are also encouraged to participate in the Golden Flyer Investment Fund (GFIF). Members of GFIF use the investment tools in the lab to make real world wealth management decisions for a $100k fund on behalf of the college. In his senior year, Boyles was treasurer of the club.

His greatest achievement while at Nazareth was accepting the scholarship from the Rochester Chapter of Financial Executives Institute (FEI), which honors a representative majoring in Accounting, Finance, or Economics, from each school in the Rochester Metropolitan Area. “Earning the FEI scholarship wasn’t about the recognition for me, but instead reinforced the effort it took to get me where I wanted to be. Before I started I Naz, I knew if I wanted to have success in the professional field, I would have to be right at the top of my class as I have less than 10% of the competition that students at larger schools face. Earning the FEI scholarship...showed me that when I put my mind to something, I can make it happen. I took this mindset into my job search prior to graduation, and my mindset changed from ‘I hope I can find the right job,’ to ‘I know that I will find the right job.’” Professor Eileen Beiter speaks very highly of Kellen Boyles. She has said that he is “not a person who will shy away from adversity or a challenge,” and who is instead “curious, determined, competitive, and industrious.” She remembers him as a “true leader...who conducts himself in an exemplary way.”

Kellen Boyles ‘20, Accounting and Finance,
men's tennis captain
Academic achievement wasn't the only success for Boyles. He played on the men's tennis team from 2017-2019, serving as captain during his sophomore year. Boyles represented his team on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. He was also involved with the men's soccer team.

Throughout the spring 2021 semester, Boyles stayed in close contact with Naz. He continued to attend Golden Flyer Investment Club meetings, and when he was able, he kicked the ball around the GTC with the soccer team. As evidenced by his continued presence after graduation, Boyles’ advice to prospective and current Nazareth students is to take advantage of extra-curricular clubs. He noted that Naz does a really good job of combining what you learn in the classroom and applying it to real world scenarios. Boyles added, “develop great relationships with your professors as they will take specific interest in your own development and help you find success not only during your time at Naz, but also as you progress as a professional.”

Next steps for Boyles include pursuing his Certified Management Accountant (CMA) credential after gaining the required job experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment