Get new posts by email


Tuesday, September 7, 2021

My authentic self: team member, leader, mentor, and friend

by: Salley Thornton, Director, Field Marketing and Events, Toshiba 

Salley Thornton, Director
Field Marketing and Events, Toshiba
Even after my college graduation, when I was firmly cemented into the professional working world, the month of September held an ephemeral charm. While the frenzy of back-to-school activities was no longer a central focus, the approach of Labor Day has always heralded a new beginning.

Much like the New Year, Labor Day acts as a second chance to hit the reset button. Mistakes and stumbling blocks are set aside in the past. And there is hope that better habits are surely easier to attain in the future.

A fresh start!

The feeling of being able to wipe the proverbial slate clean and start again has been an integral aspect of my professional growth. A tool I’ve used to help myself move on when outside stressors cling and drag like heavy wet towels.

I’d like to say I came up with this epiphany on my own – in reality it’s the guidance given to me by my Dad, Gary, who taught me to be courageous and humble at the same time as I ventured out into the world.

A farmer, his sage advice was always common sense and plain spoken. And I use it nearly ever day as I navigate being my authentic self as a team member, a leader, a mentor, and a friend.

A few other “Gary-isms” below may seem a bit trite, (I’m sure you can picture my eye rolls after hearing them over and over) but have helped keep apprehension in check when faced with seemingly formidable circumstances.
  • Mud will wash off but memories will last a life time.
  • A little hard work never hurt anyone.
  • Always do your best. What you plant now you will harvest later.
  • Don’t look back you’re not going that way.
  • Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time.
  • Tomorrow’s another day.
  • Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself.
But, hands down, my favorite is this beauty: You’re no better than anyone else. But you’re no worse either!

So stop comparing yourself to everyone around you. Celebrate what YOU bring to the table. Don’t focus on what doesn’t serve you and look to the positive change you can make instead. And, most importantly, don’t forget to use your strengths to lend a hand to others.

There are dozens of popular business books to help professional growth – but sometimes getting started, and staying on track, is remembering the simple advice from those who care about you.

If you’d like to learn a little more and put some of this into practice, join us for a series of women’s leadership workshops this fall at Nazareth. These three sessions designed by Nazareth faculty and local business professionals are hands-on workshops designed to help you bring your best to work and life. Please consider joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment