Get new posts by email


Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Taking Advantage of Chances to Build Your Network Leads to Opportunities

By Carlyne Fernald ‘16, ‘18G, now working at Butler/Till

During my fourth year of undergrad at Nazareth College, I needed to decide my next move. I had a passion for marketing, and I was about to graduate with my bachelor’s degree in communications and media, with a minor in psychology. Then I met with Professor Mark Weber, who taught my Intro to Marketing class sophomore year and directs the master’s program in marketing. I had fallen in love with wanting to understand people’s motivations and purchase behaviors. Everything about that class was so fascinating.

Fast forward to August 2017, when I began my master’s coursework. The program was designed for students who were working, and professors encouraged students to bring hands-on experiences from their daily work and apply them to the topics in class. Throughout my first year of the program, I worked in the Nazareth College Office of Alumni Relations as marketing and digital media coordinator and interned in Kodak’s PR and Communications Department. On nights when I wasn’t at class, I volunteered with the women’s lacrosse team as an assistant coach. During my second year of the program, following Mark’s advice to gain hands-on experience at an ad agency, I interned 9-5 at Dixon Schwabl. 



When I had free time, I worked to further build my network in the community. Our professors encouraged us to reach out to local marketing firms and ask for informational interviews. The process was nerve-wracking at first, but I trusted my professors and conducted over 25 informational interviews with professionals at companies such as Butler/Till, Dixon Schwabl, Eastman Kodak Company, Constellation Brands, the Seneca Park Zoo, The Martin Group, McDougall Communications, Truth Collective, Tipping Point Communications, and Partners + Napier. If I could give students one piece of advice, it would be to build your network this way. It truly opens doors in ways I never thought possible.


Carlyne Fernald spoke to Prof. Mark Weber’s students about the importance of marketing.
One informational interview led me to my current job at Butler/Till. Ever since freshman year, Butler/Till had been on my list of “dream workplaces” in Rochester, N.Y. I had a professor who did a great job bringing in speakers who were currently working in media and communications. I always made sure to introduce myself after each speaker told us about their work and how they forged their own career path. When I began conducting informational interviews, my networking circle continued to expand. The people I’d introduced myself to eventually became my internship supervisors and my bosses. 


While in grad school, Carlyne Fernald conducted 25 informational interviews, including at Butler/Till — where she now works.
Nazareth College helped me expand my skill set for public speaking, digital marketing, and strategic planning, but most importantly the master’s program armed me with opportunities that have helped me forge my own career path in the world of marketing and communications. The people I’ve met, skills I’ve learned, and hands-on experiences I’ve had, have opened endless doors and have helped shape me into who I am today.


Devin MacHenry ‘17 and Carlyne Fernald, past Naz classmates and current Butler/Till colleagues.




No comments:

Post a Comment