Get new posts by email


Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Supportive Professors Made it Possible to Juggle Jobs, Lacrosse, and a Master’s Degree

By Jamie Martin ‘17, ‘19G, now working in marketing at Paychex 

Having a business administration undergrad degree gave me a taste for all sorts of fields, and then I heard about the graduate program in marketing. The master’s program covered much more than my undergraduate classes and each course was very hands on and closely related to what we would be asked to do in the real world. In the Capstone class, we put together a full media plan for a non-profit effort called Project Homeless Connect Rochester (a one-day event that connects about 700 people in the Rochester region with vital services). Our media plan will be taken into action this summer and fall to get more awareness out about the organization and the major event that they host in October. The plan will be executed by a Nazareth marketing undergrad student!

Jamie Martin at her marketing job at Paychex
The small class setting made it easier to learn and allowed me to develop a close relationship not only with the professors, but also my classmates. That helped me feel more comfortable asking questions; I have always been the shy and quiet type of student in the classroom, but this program allowed me to get over that hump and ease up on my fear of public speaking. My classmates also increased my creative thinking skills as they got me thinking differently! My first year as a grad student, I was a fifth-year athlete on the women’s lacrosse team at Naz. I had practice every day, and my game schedule was all over the place. The professors were extremely accommodating and supported me whole-heartedly. It was really cool to have professors interested in my life outside of school. My second year in the program, I got two new jobs, again making my schedule a little wild. The professors make things work, such as when my grandfather passed away and I missed a few classes. Coaching lacrosse at Fairport often had me getting to class a few minutes late. Professors also were flexible with assignments if things came up. I truly am grateful for that but I wouldn’t have had that flexibility if it weren’t for the relationships I built with my instructors.
Jamie Martin played lacrosse throughout her years at Nazareth.

Although there were many challenges, I must admit that a lot of the time I felt as if I was doing something for fun instead of “school.” It is all what you make of it. Find that connection and passion and make the experience worthwhile. And do not take any second of it for granted!

Left to right: Her brother Shane; Jamie Martin; her mom Sue, and her dad Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment